Facilities Maintenance / Fire Services
Fire equipment needs regular testing to ensure they work when you need them most
Scroll for more
Fire Services Overview
Fire Extinguishers, Fire Hose Reels, Hydrants etc need to be installed and regularly tested in all commercial buildings (offices, retail stores, warehouses, factories, etc.), under current state & federal laws and must comply with the BCA (Building Code Australia). This also includes large & small multi-residential buildings. The inspection, test and maintenance regime for fire extinguishers is specified in the Australia Standard AS 1851 Maintenance of Fire Protection Systems and Equipment and in some cases require local council certification on an annual basis.
Fire Extinguisher Testing Requirements
- All extinguishers have to be inspected at six monthly intervals and if they don’t have a pressure gauge, they may need to be weighed to check they are still full. Some extinguisher types may require additional tasks to be carried out annually. Extinguishers need to be emptied, pressure tested and refilled every five years. Some extinguishers such as Foam, Water and oil based need to be serviced on a more regular basis set out in the Australian
- Appropriate signage needs to be placed near or above the extinguisher indicating type, fires that it suitable to be used on. Also a location sign indicating a extinguisher needs to be visible.
- The type of test and the month of testing must be recorded on a label or tag attached to the extinguisher, fire hose reel, hydrant etc
What do the tests involve
- Visual inspection of all fire extinguishers on site
- Fire extinguisher testing and fire extinguisher maintenance dates
- Weighing the fire extinguishers
- Visual inspection of the fire extinguisher pressure gauges
- Inspection of tamper seals and safety pull pins
- Removal of discharge hoses and check for continuity
- Inspection of the valve assemblies
- Cleaning and re-hanging all fire extinguishers
- Review of fire extinguisher placement, sizes and types
- New certification tags to keep you in compliance
- Inspection of valves, caps etc on the hydrant
- Inspection, of nozzle, hose and fittings on the fire hose reel
How can ATTS help?
- 6 monthly fire extinguisher testing schedule that consists of specific fire extinguisher checks listed above
- 12 monthly fire extinguisher testing schedule that consists of the above procedures plus other specified functional checks required by Australian Standards
- 5 yearly fire extinguisher testing schedule that consists of the 2 above procedures as well as other specified functional checks including pressure tests
- Council certification (15A) where required
Fire Services FAQs
Need some pricing?
Just tell us what you need and we’ll send it to you. It just takes a couple of minutes.
Get a Quote